wortgefecht wrote:
> Ah, yes, pretty straightforward if you are a bit Linux savvy :) Thanks.
>
> Just a last general question: I noticed that there are a few companies
> selling pre-assembled VortexBoxes. Some come even either with this SOtM
> USB PCIe card  or a soundcard like the Juli@ (newer version of my Maya).
> Does VortexBox support these ootb? The Maya does 24/192 output but I
> remember from the last time I used it under Debian it's not that easy to
> get it to work: It's only supported by ALSA and SPDIF output never
> works. The latter is no problem, since if I use the card, I would use
> the analogue out anyways.
>
> Today I also read for the first time about the SOtM USB PCIe card in one
> of Archimago's blog posts. It's an interesting piece of hardware--but is
> it really worth the money (350) compared to similar boards from other
> chinese manufacturers for about 50?

I really have no clue about these comparisons. I've always thought that
the preassembled stuff and SOtM stuff is definitely premium priced. One
can likely do it themselves much cheaper. But I think of it as paying
for convenience of turn-key.

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.9 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify