My experience:

Bought our first Squeezebox Duet in 2008 for the living room, connected
to my Naim amp. This prompted me to buy a NAS (Synology DS107) to run
LMS (then SqueezeboxServer) and learn a whole lot about Linux and
networking!
Bought our second Squeezebox Duet in 2009 for the kitchen.  It became
the default for listening to music in the house, the kids especially
liked the Spotify integration.

10 years later and the main music listening done in the house seems to
be via mobile phones and portable bluetooth speakers or headphones.
Nobody other than me seems to be bothered about stereo!

The Duet in the living room is still connected, but I am the only one
that listens to it. We have some active speakers in the kitchen that
have Bluetooth and an RCA aux input that I use for a Raspberry Pi
running PiCorePlayer.  Again, I am the only one who uses the SB,
everybody else uses the Bluetooth.  They don't seem to be bothered that
the connections are so flaky and their phone notification sounds are
amplified. Most serious listening seems to be done privately on their
telephones.

My twins are now 18 and about to go off to uni, and my youngest at 16
seems to spend most of his evenings out with friends or in his room
doing homework. Because of this Mrs TLM has decided, just before our
20th anniversary and my 60th birthday, that this is the right time to
dispense with her husband.

:-(

She has decided that she does not want to spend her retirement years
with me and plans to buy a dog for company instead while she swipes
Tinder.  I am being shipped off to a small one bed apartment during a 6
month "trial separation".  All reasonably amicable - but with great
reluctance and sadness on my part. We get on OK, no rows, but she is
just bored and thinks that getting rid of me and looking for a new bloke
will make life exciting again! She is almost certainly right - but maybe
more exciting in the Chinese sense than the fun time she is expecting.

Anyway, she is the one with all the cash, so will be buying me out of
the joint property (assuming the trial is "successful").  I will then
have enough to buy either a 2 bed flat if I decide to stay in London, or
a small house if I move out of town a bit.  She says she will be very
glad to get rid of all my ugly hi-fi.  Any replacement for Mrs TLM is
going to need to be more accepting of my audio setup.  In fact a shared
appreciation of music and its reproduction is going to be a big factor
in choosing Mrs TLM 2.0!

I will take the "plug ugly" Linn LP12, Naim amps and B&W speakers and
leave her with a nice shiny plastic £30 Sony portable speaker for the
living room.  If I am feeling generous I might run to a £100 or so for
Bose or UE box.

Wish me luck...

Matt
*SqueezeBoxes:* A *'piCorePlayer'
(https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home)* with two Duets, one
no longer in active service.
*Server:* Synology DS214 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.9.1
*Network:* TP-Link Archer VR200 router, TP-Link access point
*Livingroom:* Duet, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2
speakers
*Kitchen:* piCorePlayer, Tibo powered speakers.