Thank you Phiiippe and Ralphy.

I logged into my SBT using ssh and edited, (using the Busybox vi,) the
file /usr/share/jive/jive/net/SlimProto.lua, added the line,
*obj:capability("Balance", 1)*
after the if block for hasDigitalOut, rebooted, checked the SBT player
audio settings using the material UI, and the Balance feature was
present! I set it to 12, which I think is a shift of 6 dB - not sure.

I suspect most Touch, (and Transporter users too, if it works there
too,) would be hesitant to make this change to their player themselves,
fearing they might brick their device, so for devices where it is known
to work that are detected, I would recommend enabling the balance
feature automatically. I am going to log into my 85 year-old mother's
SBT, and add the capability for her:)

*Living Room:* SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU >
VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans
cables > B&W 804 speakers
*Laptop:* System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite +
Vivaldi/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
*Bedroom:* RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink
Revolve
*Phone:* Pixel 3a + SB Player + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
*Server:* Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 8.2