Thanks for the replies. Things have moved on. I have installed
picoreplayer on one rp1 4 and I am now getting BBC Sounds addon and
Spotify. Hooray. However still cannot get the Synology nas to spit out
music folders to the nas. I have tried various combinations of nfs and
cifs with the ip address of the synology and tinkering with the share
properties of the folders on the synology but no joy. All this on the
pcp setup pages. Still get the same message about not connecting, and no
sign of the folders after a reboot. Going to the lms webpages it sees
the mnt point (music) but no attached folders. If you could direct me to
a forum which deals with this issue alone I would be happy to expand.

Currently thinking of getting an ssd and copying all my music to that
and plugging it directly into the pi running the lms. It would need to
be running all the time (like the Synology) but no big deal I suppose.

Many thanks for your help and at least the issue is now narrowed to one!