Oh, more thoughts about the CLI -- Squeezebox player settings like power
on/off, mute/unmute, and volume are handled as client "pref" preference
values. You could simply connect to LMS and "subscribe" to the
preferences you care about ("volume", "mute", "power") and issue
commands to the Meridian in response to those changes: e.g., when see
the player's "mute" pref change to "1", tell the Meridian to "Mute". And
if  you see a change initiated on the Meridian side, just issue the
corresponding LMS CLI command -- you see Meridian "Demute", just issue
CLI command "mixer muting 0".

owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
(which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much
time on the forums.
*Free plugins:* AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu
DenonSerial
FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket
SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock