verycd wrote:
> Good summery, Jim. I am very gradteful too that the volunteers/fans
> spend time keeping the abandoned line alive. I have learned to purchase
> products that have large ethusiastic and capable followers.
>
> I don't feel anyone tried to help me here was pushy in any ways :-) I
> like the idea of the raspberry idea. It is just for my current usage the
> notebook may be a good enough sulution after actually measuring the
> power consumption. Years ago I attached the external drive to the USB
> input of the Touch. It was so slow to scan and locate the music using
> the remote or the irresponsive touchscreen, which made me hardly enjoy
> the local library. I am sure PI 4 would be much faster for the task.

glad you didn't feel pushed :)

when you hooked the USB drive to the touch, and were not happy two
things were in play:

1) While previous sb devices had "out of the box" through mysb.com
exclusively, the touch expanded the out of box by added a small version
of LMS, referred to as "tiny LMS". It too is no longer supported and
ironically, also suffers the http/https limitation. There is alot of
discussion here on it, it is crash prone if you try to do too much
(play, scan, and flip through menus at the same time). Seems like that
is what you experienced.

I setup a non tech friend with the touch running tiny LMS and a thumb
drive of music and it did fine for him. I eventually got him a
picoreplayer (server) for the https thing, and, because he enjoys the
radio paradise streams, this gave him the FLAC streams. He still doesn't
know why he needs the little box (pCP) hooked to his router, oh
well...:rolleyes:

2) If your USB drive did not have a separate power supply, perhaps the
touch USB could not power it, but perhaps you checked that.

Take Care
Jim