This seems inherently backwards to me.

Clearly the "database" is the tags in the songs themselves. That's the
"real" data. So what you put into the tags, or how you change the tags
with a tagger like Tag & Rename or whatever, that's the "real" data.

I defend this position by pointing out that if, tomorrow, I decide to
hate my squeezebox, I can take the tunes into my iPod or my Audiotron
or my next-generation-whiz-bang and it will all work.

Therefore, for the purposes of this discussion, I would call the tag
data the definitive database.

That makes the slimserver database a derivitive database. It's in a
form more convenient for slimserver, and since it is only for
slimservers use, slimserver is (and should be) free to destroy or
recreate it at will.

The only reason this discussion seems to recurr every few months is
that recreating the slimserver derivitive database is currently
resource intensive, something that no doubt will be fixed in future.

Since the tags are the persistant database (they'll still be there if I
decide to throw slimserver out the window), persistant changes *must* be
made there.

Hence the need for a tagger.

Back to my original contention.

--