As already told here
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=29897  my biggest
concern with Transporter is the lack of a stand alone mode.
As music lover and audio enthusiastic I'm interested to find a solution
to get free of all my CDs and enter in the music streaming age.
The fact SlimDevices products act like pure server clients, and need a
running SlimServer to be able to navigate and play streamed music, is
very frustrating.
It prevent them to be a CD player direct replacement, especially from
an usability point of view.

Therefore I'm proposing to implement a minimal stand-alone mode on
board.
I'm targeting especially on Transporter as it offer enough inner space
for that, his higher price point also allows more freedom.

My proposal is following:
- Build a reduced SlimServer version which focus on the essential and
permit to navigate and play music located on an external HDD.
To be efficient this SlimLite should be shrink to the maximum and like
a SafeMode guarantee this device be able to play music at any time.
- To host this SlimLite a NAS Main board (custom or commercial) should
be added in the Transporter.
Power supply can be external, it just need a separate NAS input plug,
in order to not disturb Transporter's well designed supply.
- Data connecting should be made through Ethernet connector as like
this NAS would be external.
HDD storage connector should be added, it can be Ethernet
(Networkdrive) or USB2 ...or both if there is no limitation.

I know this proposal could sound strange for the one who find current
SlimDevices products easy to install and had no concern on their
usage.
On the other hand I really think this solution would be a serious
improvement for users who simply want to listen streamed music...

--
your momo