Jack Coates;167696 Wrote:

> Straw man. You're trying to simplify the purchase of a complex system
> into the terms of a simple system. Besides which, you're still
> incorrect -- I'll bet you, like most people, have a junk drawer full of
> simple items that didn't work out but are too inexpensive and
> unimportant to bother returning.
>
> > The whole system is too complicated for your average Joe Blow.
>
> Another straw man, and a familiar one from the OS fanboy arguments...
> first the argument never takes into account people's willingness to
> take action for an outcome (how many Joe Blow types are able to
> successfully work their VCRs or Motorola phones, both of which could
> take UI tips from Slimserver), and second the argument assumes that 99%
> penetration of the electricity-using population is in fact a reasonable
> goal.
>
> > You may need to think about streaming video, too.
>
> By that logic, there should also be a games console. Quite frankly, by
> that logic the thing should make cake.

Actually, I'm an engineer and I don't have anything sitting in a drawer
that doesn't work.  I fix most of my stuff when it croaks, and other
people's stuff, too.  When I buy something that doesn't work it goes
back immediately.  If something dies and is unrepairable, I throw
usually it away, unless I can harvest some interesting parts before I
throw it away.  I make a lot of my own stuff.  You can see some of it
here:  http://mark.rehorst.com

I had no trouble setting up my SB3 system, but I have maintained
computers for other people for years, so I am familiar with "Joe
Blow's" ability to deal with computer networks, software to rip,
compress, and tag music files, and his ability to fix it when something
goes wrong.  I am also familiar with the effort he is willing to expend
to get that cool sound system up and running.  Most are not willing to
do so.

Streaming video is obvious, making cake isn't.

I think what is needed here is to separate the SB audio system from the
home computer system.  That means a box that works the minute you plug
it in because that is all that Joe Blow can handle.  That means plug in
an internet connection, a CD player/ripper (or have one built in), all
the software to rip, compress, and tag the music, a big HDD to store it
on, and preconfigured wireless networking.  Essentially a Sonos or
similar competitive system without the amps built into the remote
receivers and hopefully without the high prices, too.

TD

--
tyler_durden