Balthazar_B;200833 Wrote:
> I know several forum members use active monitors, and I'm wondering
> whether there's any significant downside to using the unbalanced outs
> from the SB3 for this purpose.
For the short interconnect runs you're envisaging, an unbalanced
connection should be fine. The only possible issue you might come
across would be grounding problems. The SB3 has a floating ground, so
if you connect it up to a balanced input in the traditional way
(floating the screen of the interconnect at the source end), you might
get a hum problem. Tying the interconnect's screen to the ground at the
SB end might fix this. Or if the active monitor's screen is decoupled
from its ground, you may need to explicitly connect the SB and monitor
grounds together. See
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BalancedPowerAmps

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?