Fletch;189354 Wrote:
> And with unison, it's twice as scary.  Unison is basically a two-way
> rsync so if the backup somehow gets destroyed those changes will be
> propagated back to the main storage.

Yes I should have mentioned that originally! However, I am happy to
carry on using unison until I find something better.

>From what I've read from your link, rsnapshot isn't what I want. It
seems rsnapshot is great for, erm, snapshots. But snapshots aren't
backups.

I want backups for when a disk fails, and it seems rsnapshot, by
relying on hard links, is not intended to propagate data outside of the
original filesystem. If my disk fails I lose the original data and all
the snapshots, which is kind of disappointing! If I have got this wrong
then, firstly, I apologise, and secondly, I am sure you will put me
right :-)

I see unison as a replacement for disk mirroring, and in that context
it works well. I never write to the backup disk (other than indirectly
via unison) nor do I have any reason to, so changes being propagated
back isn't a worry.
Darren

--
darrenyeats