I did a test with a laptop (XP sp2 512Mbram 1.7GHz single core no HT)
which is similar to the OP systems and I saw the network test issue.
The SB and laptop are wired through a switch so minimal router issues
and no wireless.

Without pipelining enabled - network test was consiustent only 94-96%
throughput - with pipelining the throughput was mainly 100% with
occasional 98%.

Further testing is needed to see if it is really helping or just a
one-off.

The pipelining feature will only improve responsiveness for sites using
http 1.1 so it will only affect cbeebies and not slimserver.  If
pipeling helps, then I think the problem is firefox has many network
requests waiting for responses from remote sites.  Perhaps the queue of
requests on a single core systems is somehow blocking the network
interface and so affecting slimserver.

--
bpa