>How would you feel about DVR-like behavior? Press Fwd once and you jump
>~30 seconds ahead (rough computation based on file size if not natively
>supported format?), pres Rew once and you jump ~10 seconds back. The UI
>should let users choose different Fwd and Rew jump amounts.

That would be even worse.

>Perhaps even better -- momentary presses would have that DVR-like
>behavior, and held presses would have Alan's proposed behavior.

The problem is the FF key will skip to next track if pressed briefly.  The key
must be held down to invoke some form of fast-forward behaviour.

I don't like having to hold down the button for long periods of time.  Uses the
battery power up, and would be less secure than current functionality.

I press.hold to start fast-forward, and then release the button.  I press.hold
FF again to ramp-up the speed.  When I hear a change in the music (eg. the end
of a long gap, crowd-noise between live songs, I press play to resume normal
playback.  Nothing confusing or difficult about that, and totally practical.

I compare the current fast-forward functionality to my Sky+ box for digital TV
control, which is considered by many to be the best and most user-friendly PVR
on the market.  With that box, you press >>.  This takes you into x2 playback
speed.  Press it again and you go to x5, then x15 and x30.  Press play to
resume playback.  Exactly the same, except the SqueezeBox remote doesn't have a
dedicated button, so you have to press FF.hold each time to go up to the next
multiplier level.  I can't imagine how bad it would feel if someone took away
visual feedback from the Sky+ box and just provided a progress bar or an
arbitrary jump <n> seconds into the future.

>I use my Squeezeboxes and a RadioShark AM/FM capture device to "time
>shift" radio programs. Often I have to stop playing a program mid-way.
>I use SongScanner to resume playback in these cases (I'd like to have
>something like MythTV's "saved position" functionality.)

Yes, that is kind of when I use the SongScanner; if I have stopped a long
song/podcast and know what position I want to resume from.  However, there is
also a bookmark plugin, that allows you to save the song and position as a
bookmark, so you can instantly resume from that position.

Phil