>i'm sorry, but you'll have to bear with me...  please define
>contributors.  TPE2 only?  or what?  do user defined tags get to be
>contributors too?

I am trying to stay format agnostic, and also not mention how I want things to
work.  I was just stating the facts.

Contributors are any type of artist role associated with a song.  A lead
performer, band, composer, conductor, etc.
As far as I can recall, SqueezeCenter scanner only understands one user-defined
TXXX tag - ALBUMARTIST.

>here is where you really start to confuse me.  can you please use
>snarlys convention of writing BAND or ALBUMARTIST in caps and without
>the space when you mean SC7 internal tags?  (not saying you didn't,
>just making sure)

No.  BAND, etc, look like ID3 frame names, like TPE2.  It's less confusing to
use lower case to represent how SqueezeCenter stores information in its
internal database.

>now, above, when you say album artist tag in the songs, i'm sure you
>realize id3 has no standard for that.
>so you are talking about when someone with mp3s has used a workaround to put
>such tags in there,
>yes?

Yes - Txxx ALBUMARTIST is a user-defined tag, because there isn't a defined
standard.  However, it is an adopted format that several apps follow.  I
believe FooBar understands it, and a few other apps.

In the same sense, the BAND tag is NOT supposed to be used as album artist.
According to the standard it is meant to represent the band that plays on a
song, i.e. a contributor; a type of performer that makes up the set of
people/names that perform the song.  Eg. ARTIST=Buddy Holly, BAND=The Crickets.
 The fact that there is no standard support for album artist meant that some
apps miss-use BAND for storing album artist.  That is fact.

Other formats do apparently define a proper album artist tag as part of their
standard.

>that means anyone not using a workaround is screwed right off the bat.

Not sure what you mean by screwed.  If you don't set album artist, you get some
albums appearing as compilations, because of a guest performance on one track.
Most people probably don't bother setting a list of several artists on a song
(not sure if that's standard anyway), and won't be affected.  eg. SqueezeCenter
allows a separator for defining multiple track artists (eg. ";").

>right, and this happens in spite of the fact that many mp3 users have
>set TPE2 to avoid this very issue.

Thus not following the standard.

>but SC7 doesn't give an option to employ TPE2 the way most apps use it.

I think there is an intention to allow SC to not follow the standard like other
apps that abuse the tag, but it appears to be broken.

>ok...  but if an album has already been tagged VA when it isn't, this
>doesn't matter.

Don't know what you mean.  If it has been tagged as VA then it is VA.  If it is
tagged VA and it isn't then the tag is wrong???

>i don't have these user defined tags like artistsort or albumartist in
>my MP3s, so as far as i know, those same named SC7 internal tags are
>empty.

No.  If you don't have any ARTISTSORT tags, all artists will have their
internal artist sort set the same as the artist name (except leading articles
are removed).  "Paul Simon" would be sorted as "Paul Simon", and "The Beatles"
will be sorted as "Beatles".  If ARTIST="Paul Simon" and ARTISTSORT="Simon,
Paul", it would be sorted under S.

>just to be clear, i have all those unchecked BUT when i did check
>"Band/Orchestra" it made no difference, it only slowed down my scan.

So you want BAND to be ALBUMARTIST but you normally don't even bother to have
BAND ticked in the settings?

If you have used BAND, you would then see the Band listed as a contributor on a
song if you navigate down to song information.
The contributor in BAND would be searchable.