JimC;290005 Wrote:
> Please.  The sentence contained the something very close to the phrase:
> "Yes, this is a personal attack."  That's a direct violation of our
> forum guidelines, and deliberately baiting the moderators here.
> Removing that bit was really a very, very light bit of moderating.

look, thats fine.  but i see it as selective.  does he have to say it
(as i did) to get corrected?  is it not obvious how rude he was?  as
his stuff is still there.

and i think you missed my point in WHY i said it.  i said it b/c up
until that point, nothing prior i had said was meant in ANY way as a
personal attack, but he took many things as such, and without basis or
reason or grounds to do so.  so i was demonstrating that THIS was a
personal attack, (so he'd know what one was) while the other stuff was
not.  i still see no way he could take what i was saying personally,
(the non censored stuff), its ridiculous.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> No, that's not what I'm saying.  I was simply summarizing what I
> understood the behavior to be.  I don't use Band (because I find it
> broken in some apps and unneeded in the apps I do use), so I don't
> really have any opinion as to how it should behave.

well thats a huge part of the problem.

can someone from slim please expalin how their option in their proram
is supposed to work?

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> As our programmers like to say "Contributions welcome."  Tagging is a
> mess... not just for us, but for any music manager.  How tags are used
> is a very personal thing, and one man's pleasure is another man's pain.

i'm not a programmer, i'm a user who wants to use something that i have
a reasonable expectation will work reasonably.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> I suggest that you open an enhancment request at
> bugzilla.slimdevices.com and put your proposal in there.

i have done bugs before.  the problem is i can't even get an answer to
the question above.

in other words, is this issue a bug?  or is it an enhancement request?
how can i know if i don't know from slim how the option is meant to
work?

and btw, i have voted for MANY bugs and enhancement requests related to
this issue, in other words, this stuff is already represented in
bugzilla.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> See above.

exactly.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> "Properly tagged" is in the eye of the beholder.  I consider my files
> properly tagged and TPE2 is used only sporadically.  Stuff sorts fine
> for me, so a change in behavior isn't needed as far as I am concerned.
> That doens't mean how SC handles tags works for everyone, but tags
> aren't handled consistently in any application.

u misread that.  its "sort properly" not "properly tagged."  i suppose
i could have written that better.  my bad.

the point is it doesn't sort properly and i have no way to get it to,
with my tags remaining as is.  and i think SC7 should fix this b/c my
tags are how a LOT of people do their mp3 tags.  i daresay the
majority.

and i am not asking for SC7 to accomodate sloppy tagging.  i am asking
for it to realize that many mp3 users don't use user defined tags,
(most i daresay), and do use TPE2 to perform the album artist function,
which while out of OFFICAL id3 standard, is regardless, the defacto
standard of most mp3 users.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> You have a problem with the way SC handles the particular way you tag
> your files.  You want a different behavior and I've proposed a way for
> you to get this request to our engineering team.  During our regular
> bug scrubs, we'll take a look at the request and the suggested
> implementation and try to determine if/how/when it will be done.

many bugs, some old, are already in place.  i voted for them, and
commented on some.

and its not really how "i tag files" but stated much more accurately,
how winamp, itunes, WMP, and most large market share programs tag
files.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> Please reveiw premise #3 above.  I don't disagree that you find yourself
> in the latter set, but not everyone considers it to be "broken".

thats b/c if they are mp3 users they have found a workaround via user
defined tags.  these are not part of the id3 standard either btw
(obviously).

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> I suggest that you use the tools at hand--bugzilla.slimdevices.com and
> these forums--to provide constructive feedback and suggestions as to
> what you would like to see so that when we are working on the
> scanner/tag handling, the engineers can understand both the problem and
> the various solutions proposed.

thats exactly what i've been trying to do, off an on, for many years
now.

JimC;290005 Wrote:
> Even better, you might want to see if one or more of the folks in the
> developer forum would be willing to work on coding your suggestions as
> a replacement scanner, as a plug-in or even as core functionality for a
> future release.

thats fantastic, and i will post something in there.

just to be clear, i am not trying to be difficult, i GREATLY appreciate
your feedback and the feedback of others, including snarly, but i don't
understand the basis for lack of clear information from slim, or
resistence to the idea that there is in fact, a problem, and that its a
fairly large issue which should be addressed asap.  thanks.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / Jive - w/SC 7.0.1beta - Win
XP Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655