erland;299565 Wrote:
> I think one thing that is missing in this discussion is a major
> SqueezeCenter design decision that has been made a long time ago and
> still exists as far as I know. The SqueezeCenter database is just a
> temporary storage, it's a design decision that it should be possible to
> discard at any time. This means that you can't store anything in it
> which you like to survive over a longer time. This is a BIG difference
> compared to other music library manager applications such as iTunes,
> Windows Media Player, Media Monkey. SqueezeCenter shouldn't be
> considered to be the application where you manage your music library,
> this is something that you do should in some other application. To not
> limit the user to a single music manager application the decision has
> been made that ALL information that needs to survive a longer time
> needs to be transferred into SqueezeCenter through explicit tags or by
> automatic detection logic in SqueezeCenter based on tags.

i am not trying to rewrite the SC7 philosophy.

i am not saying SC7 should manage or edit my tags.  i absolutely don't
want that.

i am saying that this is now a logitech product, and its being aimed at
the masses, and it will continue to be, and over time i expect it will
get cheaper and cheaper.

all i am suggesting is that normal mp3 users with tags but WITHOUT user
defined tags, (since they are by far the marketplace majority), should
be accommodated.

i've pointed out a clear flaw in the VA logic.  everyone knows its
there.  but no one wants to fix it b/c it either works for their
situation, (in a clearly unintended manner), or they are fine with
their workaround, (comp tags, other user defined tags).

if i were slim, i would want users who can freely DL and try SC7, to
have a reasonable expected behavior out of the box.  they won't.  and
it will hurt sales.  now, maybe they don't care about that, (although i
think they do) but i know logitech would.

you say that automatic detection logic is needed.  i agree.  where i
disagree is how that automatic detection is implemented.  there is no
need for it to guess, or for guessing to be a function you can't turn
off.  better methods exist.

erland;299565 Wrote:
> I'm not saying that this is a good design decision, but it exists at the
> moment and it is a lot bigger to change this than just changing the
> handling of the compilation state.
>
> As I understand it you are suggesting that SqueezeCenter shouldn't read
> the "compilation" state from the files at all, instead it should be
> possible for the user to enter the "compilation" state directly in
> SqueezeCenter and store it somewhere outside the music files.

no, i am not suggesting that.

SC7 should absolutely use comp tags, i have said that the whole time.

but if there are no comp tags, it should not use the current VA logic,
(looking for TPE1 differentiation) to mark an album as Various Artists
/ Compilation.

rather, that logic should be turned off by default, and instead
replaced with terms the user can set in SC7 that if the scanner finds
in the files, it then knows its a compilation.

do you follow me now?

erland;299565 Wrote:
> I'm afraid that a changed like this unfortunately would be a conflict
> with the above mentioned design decision. There IS a way for the user
> to enter the "compilation" state already today, it's done by adding a
> compilation tag to the files. It is not possible for the user to do
> this directly in SqueezeCenter, because Logitech has choosen to
> delegate that functionality to the tagging programs since it's already
> supported in these. Why spend time implementing things in SqueezeCenter
> that is already supported in other programs which the user needs to use
> anyway.

please see my previous paragraphs.

erland;299565 Wrote:
> SqueezeCenter needs to rely on custom tags (COMPILATION) for the
> compilation state, because I don't think there is a standard way in the
> different music format specifications to indicate that an album is a
> compilation album.

right, most mainstream music managing software doesn't support the comp
tag.  so the alternative (instead of VA logic guessing) is to teach SC7
to be smart enough to look for certain user defined terms (in the webUI
settings) in a users tags, like "Various Artists" or whatever they use.

the added benefit is that this would be compatible with virtually all
tag editing software, from WMP and winamp to mp3tag.  and it would work
for the unwashed masses like me, (barbarians that we are), who don't get
fancy with their tags.

erland;299565 Wrote:
> I'm not saying that the above mentioned design decision is a good one,
> because I personally have doubts regarding it when we talk about
> statistic data such as ratings, last played time and play counts. I
> believe this kind of information needs to survive a longer period of
> time to get good support for smart playlists. Statistic data isn't and
> shouldn't be written to tags in the music files.

ok, but please understand, what i am proposing is a method that depends
on a users tags and then how SC7 interprets them.  i am not proposing
entering anything directly into SC7.

erland;299565 Wrote:
> As long as I can force SqueezeCenter to handle a specific album as a
> compilation album or not, I am happy. This is something I can do
> already today by adding a compilation tag to the file. If SqueezeCenter
> besides this tries to help my figure out the compilation state for the
> rest of my albums, where I haven't any compilation tags in the files,
> that is a good thing. This saves me some work since I don't have to add
> compilation tags to ALL my music files, just those where the
> SqueezeCenter logic fails. This automatic logic works better for some
> people and worse for other people, depending on how your music library
> looks like. In your case it unfortunately works pretty bad but for
> other people it works pretty good. So forcing all the people where the
> automatic logic works good to manually enter the compilation state in
> SqueezeCenter would just result in these people getting upset instead.

not if it was left in as an optional function, which i would advocate.
i just want the option, at the very least, to turn it off, and have SC7
use a different, (and fullproof), method for recognizing my compilation
/ VA albums.

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / SBC - w/SC 7.0.1beta - Win XP
Pro SP2 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655