egd;302696 Wrote:
> Well, i got mine today and have to conclude it is definitely not ready
> for the general consumer.  In fact I'm sure they'd conclude it is a
> piece of crap and return it to the retailer, coming away very unhappy!
>

> - it didn't do what it was advertised to do i.e. other than see the
> album cover (sometimes) for the currently playing song I couldn't
> interact with my library at all.
>
> - the firmware would not upgrade via wireless.  After reading forum
> posts I realised that it was possible to update via SD card.  Luckily I
> had an SD card adapter and was able to use a micro-SD card from my PDA
> for the job.  If I hadn't had that I'd still be screwed!
>
> - the damned thing has dead pixels
>
> - the battery life is extremely poor
>
> given it is still under heavy development, perhaps it would be
> worthwhile posting a sticky topic to help new users figure out what
> needs to be done to get it working rather than expect them to wade
> through umpteen forum posts in the hope of an answer.
>
> All in all a very disappointing experience thus far.

I just got my controller this week and my experience is 180 degrees
from yours.

- full interaction with my library, music services and internet radio.
- update over network worked flawlessly
- no dead pixels
- battery life has been great for me.  I have the dim set to the
shortest length.  I've yet to run it down below 2/3 full even after a
couple of hours of off and on use.
- build quality on mine has none of the issues you mention in a later
post.  No squeeks, etc.

I couldn't be happier.  In fact, my wife asked why we didn't get one
earlier.  Only complaint is it looks like it will be easy for gunk to
work its way between the buttons and the case/wheel.

I'm unsure what firmware shipped on mine as it worked out of the box.

Sounds like you may have gotten a dud; sucks, but it happens.  I'd ship
it back and get another.

--
twylie

Thecus N5200 -> transporter -> Krell KRC2 -> 4 x nuforce 8b -> Von
Schweikert VR-4 Gen III

Thecus N5200 -> SB3 -> Monarchy DIP -> Monarchy Super DIP -> Monarchy
18b -> AES 845 monos -> Sonus Faber Concertos / Audio Physic Sparks