cliveb;312803 Wrote:
> It strikes me that streaming audio is still in its infancy

We're talking about two different things, then.  "Streaming" audio is
internet radio stations, Rhapsody, Pandora, etc.  I guarantee that not
many of those audio companies have any desire to go there.  You don't
sell someone a $7k music server so that they can listen to a 128kbps
music service.  If the device has network connectivity (primary use:
downloading metadata when ripping CDs) then maybe they throw streaming
playback in as an afterthought.

> It'll be some years before an industry standard way of doing things
> emerges. Unfortunately the eventual winner will be dictated by
> commercial muscle rather than technical superiority.

I don't see an industry standard emerging because there's no need for
one.  Interoperability isn't an issue.  If there is a standard to note,
then it's merely the design model that is currently being used - a fully
contained music server and playback system in one.

--
JJZolx

Jim