results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48780
Question: Which user category do you belong to most ?

- The geek
- The audiophile
- The structured music lover
- Massmarket Joe
- Other (None of the above fits me, see wiki page before choosing
  this)

Nostromo;312541 Wrote:
> I didn't vote, since I don't fit cleanly in one category.
>
> I'm a geek, but of the "I don't have the time to deal with that shit"
> (pardon my French) variety.
>
> I'm an audiophile, but without the gear. :-( If I told them what I
> have, the people in the audiophile forum would point at laugh. I'm more
> of a music of lover than a gear lover.
>
> I also like structure, but some people here are clearly more anal than
> me about those things.

Me too.  Exactly the same.  I've spent/am spending a -lot -of time
ripping and tagging my discs (again!) to get them exactly right, I'm
going bit-perfect (dBpoweramp) and Lossless (ALAC as I use AppleTV
too).  Not interested in tagging things like liner notes, lyrics, etc -
just the basics.

However, once it's done correctly, it's done and I won't tinker with it
- I bought the SB3 to listen to it!

I've added a few little bits here and there, like LazySearch and other
plugins, I'm using the cracking ACC app from SilverRS8, but generally I
want to do the fiddling once and that's it.

I personally don't think that the "average Joe" would ever really get a
Squeezebox 3.  -Maybe -a duet.  My thinking being that, based on my
experience of friends/work colleagues, most music is downloaded from
torrents.  So the tagging is awful/non-existent - but everyone accepts
that's just how it is.  They get used to finding the latest album by
Supergrass because they know it's under "Unknown Artist", about 5 or 6
entires down the list.  To me that's weird, but I see it happen all the
time.  On something like the SB3, that's so dependant on tags (and
rightly so IMHO), that's really not going to work.  On itunes on your
laptop it kinda is (albeit it would drive me insane!)

Good thread, this. Always going to be skewed, of course, given that
it's in this forum, but useful nonetheless!

--
moley6knipe

2 x SqueezeBox 3 | 1 x SqueezeCenter 7 | 1 x Win XP Pro SP2 | 1 x Happy
listener :-)