simbo;319272 Wrote:
> A few people I know haven't been bowled over by my Squeezebox setup
> (albeit in the minority ;-), saying they can achieve the same thing on
> their iPods and docking stations. Trying to explain the differences is
> futile; multi-room, FLAC and sound quality mean little to your
> common-or-garden iPod owner (especially the latter *ahem*).
>
> But to be honest I think they're onto something. The current gen iPod
> Classics have 80Gb storage, plenty for a normal user's music collection
> (or at least the subset of their collection they actually listen to) and
> each generation's storage is likely to increase at the rate of a normal
> user's collection.
>
> There will always be people who find this setup inadequate, most of
> whom are on this forum, but if Logitech want to increase growth they're
> going to have to appeal to the iPod-owning market and find a USP that
> attracts them to the Squeezebox.They are on to something... a very decent
> "portable device".  It's not
an end all solution to home stereo.  I have an 80gb classic but why
would I want to use it when all my music is on my computer. Much
handier and better decoding.  I can use any program I want to change my
music and use any format I want.  People think they have problems with a
SB wait until they have a problem with itunes.  It can wipe your library
pretty good.  Not saying that happens all the time but it does happen.
With the SB you might not be able to play your music for a bit.  I've
had my SB3 for about 8 months now and can't say that I've had 5 mins of
downtime with it and I run beta's almost always.  In my mind the SB does
not compare with an Ipod for a portable device and the Ipod and itunes
do not compare for home stereo with the SB.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality