Just trying to make a comparison of prices of the Slim Devices Duet to
the AppeTV, iPod Touch setups:

Slim Devices Duet: $400.

AppleTV:  $230.  (no tv required to play music)
iPod Touch: $300. (or iPhone for $200., plus AT&T contract)
Total Apple: $530.

So actually the Duet is more reasonably priced, just looking at playing
your own music on your stereo system with remote control in a handheld
controller.

However after price comparisons, then of course everyone has to weigh
the other intangibles.  With the Apple setup, you don’t need your
computer running, you don’t have to worry about configuration issues as
much (at least from my own experience) and both the AppleTV plus iPod
Touch do so much more than just play music (including wifi streaming
internet music from Pandora, AOL, shoutcast).

Again, I have all of the above devices and I recommend all of the
above.  Just making some comparisons.

--
mortslim