morberg;319456 Wrote:
> When playing your own local music library the iTunes + AirTunes + Apple
> Remote (on iPod Touch or iPhone) is very similar to the SqueezeCenter +
> Squeezebox Duet Receiver + Controller setup. What are the main
> differences in your opinion?
>
> For those of you with a little patience, Pippin might soon have
> something for us without an Airport to play with:
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=319433&postcount=125

Both methods achieve the same result which is streaming music to a
receiver.

The iTunes + Airtunes + Receiver + Apple Remote combo occupies iTunes
and prevents anyone else from using iTunes on the computer. This can be
solved by using another program to play back audio while iTunes is busy
streaming audio via Airtunes. This is cumbersome if the iTunes library
is "automagically" sorted by iTunes.

The Squeezecenter + Squeezebox Duet + Receiver + Controller setup does
not occupy the computer in any way other than streaming audio files
from it (simply requiring that it be on).

This is not a problem if you live alone since there will most likely
ever be only one person listening to music at a given time. Then you
don't have to worry about your SO going over to the Mac, slapping on
some headphones and start flipping through iTunes and then going
"Ooops! Sorry I didn't know you were listening to music on Airtunes."

"Oh honey that's okay... do you mind turning on another audio app and
airfoil so I can stream audio from that instead?".

Right now she's on the balcony listening to music with slimserver +
softsqueeze + airfoil + receiver + speakers + duet controller.
I'm sitting in front of the Mac typing this and the only way for me to
interrupt her by accident is by turning off slimserver of the computer.
And if I want to slap on my SE530 and listen to music through iTunes I
won't screw her over (though I will shut her out :P).

If she was sitting in front of the Mac she would be using Airtunes
though (or headphones). But then I wouldn't be able to listen to music
from iTunes unless I use my squeezebox. Or my PC.

Airtunes means in most cases you will have 1 audio source for music
playback unless you also use a folder based structure which is easy to
navigate.
Squeezebox means you gain an audio source.

--
Random Access