On 09/17/2015 09:55 AM, Bryan Richter wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 06:02:52PM -0600, Peter Harpending wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 09:50:13PM +0200, mray wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> So here is my candidate:
>>>

>>> "WE FUND FREE CULTURE."
>>>
>>> WE       indicates that it is about people (many!), maybe including you
>>> FUND     covers our financial angle
>>> FREE     is the best compressed version of Free/Libre/Open
>>> CULTURE  represents the scope of different content we support
>>>

>> The slogan in the IRC channel's /topic is "Clearing the path to a
>> free/libre/open world" or some such. I thought that was the slogan. It's
>> a good slogan. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what a slogan is.
>
> It's true: We *do* have a slogan, and arguments to change it must be
> heard.
>
> Here are some other thoughts of mine:
>
> In Aaron's response on the design list, he seems to imply that "open"
> is dead to us as a word to describe the kinds of works we want to
> support. I reject that claim. We don't *have* to use it, but I believe
> we *can* use it. Just because there is a thing called "open washing",
> and just because some close-minded people at an otherwise
> freedom-favoring organization have declared it anathema, doesn't mean
> it is now a meaningless word. If we want to give up every word that
> somebody makes a concerted effort to pervert, soon our language will
> consist of nothing but "buy now" and "Coke". I don't want the o-word
> to become like the n-word.
>
> On that note, (again referring to Aaron's other email), the fact that
> some dastardly folks have decided to pervert the term "free culture"
> to mean something that is absolutely nothing like its current meaning,
> doesn't mean we have to play along. Free culture, in my opinion, is
> the English phrase where "free" has the strongest connotation with
> "libre". Culture is already free-as-in-beer. I won't be bullied or
> brainwashed into thinking it is anything otherwise.
>
> Regarding Robert's suggestion: putting aside the question of
> discarding our existing slogan, I would suggest one tweak. "We" does
> not, in fact, suggest to me that it is "about peaple (many!), maybe
> including [me]". It instead suggests an exclusive "we". I think the
> following has a more inclusive feel: "Funding free culture, together".
>
> That's all I got. I'm interested to hear more thoughts.

I agree with "open" as an acceptable term, particularly in reference to
the strongest (and totally aligned with us and one of our accepted
definitions for projects) "Open Definition" http://opendefinition.org/od/

Furthermore, although we've gone with FLO overall and I really want
consistency in our messaging, "Free & Open" or "Free and Open" is
something that I think has strong merit in various cases.

I agree *completely* with the "together" versus the "we" issue. "We
fund…" definitely sounds like "we, the Snowdrift.coop folks" in a way
that does not at all come across as inclusive. It's comparable to a
restaurant saying "we serve the finest wine" or whatever.

FWIW, the evolution of the current slogan was:

"Working together to clear the obstacles"
"Working together to clear the path"
"Clearing the path to a free, libre, open world"
"Clearing the path to a Free/Libre/Open world"

I remain pretty strongly in favor of keeping the current slogan, but
would accept removing "libre" if it were insisted (but don't favor
that), and I'm perfectly fine with any alternatives to the punctuation,
including return to commas or using bullets or hyphens.

--
Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>