On 18.09.2015 19:14, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> Robert, I basically agree with all your critiques of the current slogan,
> and the clunkiness of ", together" although it's still clear that "we"
> doesn't jump out as a welcome inclusiveness. In fact, I think it's weak
> enough that it's better to go with concise and eliminate "we" rather
> than have it.

So you agree we need another slogan?

@"we":
"we" might be less inclusive than "together", but my point was that it
addresses the human factor at all. (unlike "funding free culture").
"we" is almost as important as the financial and freedom parts of us.
"together" overreaches in that aspect in my opinion.
Let's face it: We are a closed club! We ask people to get on board, open
up an account and trust their money with us. Our whole point is to
persuade people to join the in-group. Not drawing a line makes that hard.
"we" is also short.

> The main complaint I have about your proposals and suggestions is that
> you spend most of your time saying "these are the qualities we want"
> (which I agree with) and "this is how the current slogan falls short"
> (which I agree with), but you're not adequately addressing the *serious*
> flaws with the word "free" (which are still somewhat present in the
> phrase "free culture").
>
> It generally feels like you say "the current slogan is not good,
> therefore this other one is good" without actually addressing the
> concerns about the new proposal. "Free" on its own is so bad for various
> reasons (jingoism and confusion about gratis) that I and others have
> been arguing that it is *worse* than the admittedly clunky and not great
> "free*libre*open".

I was responding to the (rightful) challenge to explain why a new slogan
is necessary. *If* we can agree that there needs to be a new slogan
there is no need to point out the flaws repeatedly.

I did address "free" in my previous mail:
- "free" admittedly is not perfect (like its alternatives!)
- "free" is closest to "freedom"
- "free" changes associations next to "fund" and "culture"
- "free" generally has a *very* positive connotation
- "free" is short.

btw, I second Bryans note that we should not shy away from "free"
because others use it in other contexts.

> I don't think anyone disagrees with your critiques of the current
> slogan. The concern is about serious problems with the alternatives.

When we agree we need a new slogan, lets also agree that our ultimate
concern is having a slogan that works where the old one didn't!
Otherwise I don't see what we are trying to achieve here.

Despite its shortcomings I agree on using "free" here in the slogan
because it is catchy and sticks and works good enough - leaving
idealistic precision behind and accepting a *certain* degree of
fuzziness on purpose.

> A concise option: "Funding the free*libre*open commons" — despite the
> clunkiness, there's value in embracing a *consistent* term across all
> our messaging.

There *is* a value in consistent terminology, but it does not trump the
need to have non-clunky slogan.

> And for removing clunkiness and getting more brief: "Funding the free
> and open commons"

That's only a bit less clunky and 2 characters shorter.
Open commons sounds strange to me.

> I don't love it but: "Funding the digital commons" is kinda ok. I really
> don't like the feel of the word "digital" though.

I like this, but I miss the "we".
Initially I had problems with "digital", too. But I come to the
conclusion that the reproduction of goods at no cost is essential to our
cause. It appears to be part of the deal by definition.

What about:
"we fund digital commons" ?