On 09/19/2015 05:09 AM, mray wrote:

> On 18.09.2015 19:14, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>>
>> Robert, I basically agree with all your critiques of the current slogan,
>> and the clunkiness of ", together" although it's still clear that "we"
>> doesn't jump out as a welcome inclusiveness. In fact, I think it's weak
>> enough that it's better to go with concise and eliminate "we" rather
>> than have it.
>>

> So you agree we need another slogan?

No, I think "need" another slogan is too strong. It's not a blocker at
the level of make-or-break or that the current slogan is fundamentally
unworkable or negative.

I would agree that a better slogan would be *nice*, and that if we were
to agree on one, it makes sense to do it in conjunction with printing
stickers and shirts.

> @"we":
> "we" might be less inclusive than "together", but my point was that it
> addresses the human factor at all. (unlike "funding free culture").
> "we" is almost as important as the financial and freedom parts of us.
> "together" overreaches in that aspect in my opinion.
> Let's face it: We are a closed club! We ask people to get on board, open
> up an account and trust their money with us. Our whole point is to
> persuade people to join the in-group. Not drawing a line makes that hard.
> "we" is also short.

Although subtle, the ".coop" part of the name already includes the
community aspect. Aesthetically, I like "funding" better than "we fund",
and the "ing" part emphasizes the ongoing aspect of things. I don't feel
strongly here though.

>> The main complaint I have about your proposals and suggestions is that
>> you spend most of your time saying "these are the qualities we want"
>> (which I agree with) and "this is how the current slogan falls short"
>> (which I agree with), but you're not adequately addressing the *serious*
>> flaws with the word "free" (which are still somewhat present in the
>> phrase "free culture").
>>
>> It generally feels like you say "the current slogan is not good,
>> therefore this other one is good" without actually addressing the
>> concerns about the new proposal. "Free" on its own is so bad for various
>> reasons (jingoism and confusion about gratis) that I and others have
>> been arguing that it is *worse* than the admittedly clunky and not great
>> "free*libre*open".
>
> I was responding to the (rightful) challenge to explain why a new slogan
> is necessary. *If* we can agree that there needs to be a new slogan
> there is no need to point out the flaws repeatedly.
>
> I did address "free" in my previous mail:
> - "free" admittedly is not perfect (like its alternatives!)
> - "free" is closest to "freedom"
> - "free" changes associations next to "fund" and "culture"
> - "free" generally has a *very* positive connotation
> - "free" is short.
>
> btw, I second Bryans note that we should not shy away from "free"
> because others use it in other contexts.

The way that "free" is different next to "culture" and "fund" is still
inadequate. In my experience with non-insiders, "open" is orders of
magnitude more likely to bring people to think about what we mean than
any context with just "free". No matter what we do, the association of
"free" with no-charge is completely overwhelming, far far beyond the
issue of "a few others use it in a context we don't like".

"shareable" is a better example of a word that still mostly means what
we want it to mean but where "others use it in other contexts". I.e.
Bryan's note that you agree with is a reasonable defense of using
"shareable", i.e. "Shareable is still a good word, despite our dislike
of the way some people use it." "Free" has problems that are much deeper
than that.

Let me be completely clear: the *only* reason I think it's okay at all
to consider a slogan that just says "free" but doesn't include "open" is
because we actually *want* projects on Snowdrift.coop to be accessible
at no-charge, gratis. So, we *are* talking about funding the work to
make things that are then gratis to the world. So, emphasizing that
we're building a no-charge commons is OKAY. Thus, I don't totally reject
"free" alone. But we shouldn't fool ourselves, in a short slogan, "free"
will continue to emphasize gratis no matter what we do. It does not
bring to mind a distinction between FLO and proprietary for most people.
The word that does that best for most English speakers is "open". And
"open" is a word where Bryan's point stands: our main objection is that
others use it in ways we don't like, and maybe that isn't a strong
enough objection.

>> I don't think anyone disagrees with your critiques of the current
>> slogan. The concern is about serious problems with the alternatives.
>
> When we agree we need a new slogan, lets also agree that our ultimate
> concern is having a slogan that works where the old one didn't!
> Otherwise I don't see what we are trying to achieve here.
>
> Despite its shortcomings I agree on using "free" here in the slogan
> because it is catchy and sticks and works good enough - leaving
> idealistic precision behind and accepting a *certain* degree of
> fuzziness on purpose.
>

>> A concise option: "Funding the free*libre*open commons" — despite the
>> clunkiness, there's value in embracing a *consistent* term across all
>> our messaging.
>
> There *is* a value in consistent terminology, but it does not trump the
> need to have non-clunky slogan.

Non-clunky and consistent are both values. This is a trade-off here. I
think the order of priorities is: 1. the impression it gives is what we
want to send, 2. non-clunky, 3. consistent terminology

So I agree that consistency is lower priority. My bigger point is that
clunkiness is lower priority than delivering the right message.

>> And for removing clunkiness and getting more brief: "Funding the free
>> and open commons"
>
> That's only a bit less clunky and 2 characters shorter.
> Open commons sounds strange to me.
>

>> I don't love it but: "Funding the digital commons" is kinda ok. I really
>> don't like the feel of the word "digital" though.
>
> I like this, but I miss the "we".
> Initially I had problems with "digital", too. But I come to the
> conclusion that the reproduction of goods at no cost is essential to our
> cause. It appears to be part of the deal by definition.
>
> What about:
> "we fund digital commons" ?

I just really prefer the aesthetics of "funding the digital commons"
more than "we fund the digital commons". Hard to put into words. I think
we need the "the" either way.

In defense of the "digital commons" as the direction (with either "we"
or "…ing"), it avoids inconsistency with FLO elsewhere, avoids
partisanship on the FLO wording debate, it accurately describes our
mission, and we can build on it from there to explain to people *what*
the digital commons is, and that FLO terms are necessary to be truly
part of the commons…

Reflecting on this now, a bit after I wrote it, I think "digital
commons" is probably the best balance of everything.

To build on Paul's post, "funding the commons" seems the most core
thing, but we aren't funding parks and roads actually, and so "digital
commons" does remove the vagueness substantially.

My only complaint about "digital commons" is that it emphasizes
something incidental, the medium for sharing. I want to emphasize the
importance of journalism, science, music, art… and not seem like this is
a site focused on concerns of technophiles. But that's a minor concern
we can deal with otherwise and doesn't seem enough to reject this proposal.

I think "funding the digital commons" is good and significantly better
in many important ways over "we fund free culture". I would be happiest
if we had a better word than "digital" and I don't really like "funding
the internet commons" or "funding the online commons"

Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>