Peter Reaper wrote:

Some things that still "bug" me about OpenOffice:

1. The page ZOOM toolbar button needs to be a dropdown selection, instead of the more cumbersome separate dialog window.

Some things are different but to zoom quickly I just hold the control key down and scroll the mouse button.

2. The document page should be CENTERED on the screen instead of on the left edge, which is visually "unbalanced".

I have this problem when I'm on my laptop and the screen is more 'letterbox' then a regular monitor. That would be nice.

3. It is too cumbersome to add toolbar buttons that are not in the standard set. The user should be able to just select a category on the left (which BTW should mirror the MENU items) and then on the right have a list of ALL functions in that category which he can drag to the toolbar.

This would be personal preference, I'm comfortable with what it does.

4. Need shortcut: CTRL+SHIFT+V = paste without formatting.

Submit a feature request for this one, seems like a good idea.

5. Context menus in tables should offer many (all) table-specific operations. This could be fine-tuned to adjust to how the table is selected (cell, row,...)

That could be a big list, maybe too cumbersome.

6. Double click should select a sentence; tripple click should select a paragraph. (it might already do this)

I've always been used to double click for a word with extra click for sentence. How do you select a single word then?

7. Context menus need to be much more powerful (more items) and CONTEXTUAL.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to make them customizable in a way similar to the toolbars. That way you can satisfy everyone, those that don't need everything there and those that do.

8. Draw doesn't offer a sensible default line color/width and form fill color; and worse, it doesn't remember what I had previously selected (goes back to idiotic defaults).

9. Writer's UI needs to be MUCH more like WordPerfect's UI (context menus, paste-without-formatting, tables handling, tabs handling, indenting paragraph AFTER some text (F7), ...)

Sorry that's a matter of preference as well, I've never used WP.

10. The installer should NOT install the pre-loader by default. That is just invasive, rude, and shows that the programmer couldn't properly optimize the program. What if EVERY program did that? Our PC's would come to a crawl from the load.

Lots of programs do that including Office. Sheesh, I just installed software for my new HP printer. Almost 800 MB of crap and it has a quick starter.

There's more, but you can see that all this hype about OOo being nearly as good as Word or even WordPerfect is just that: hype and wishful thinking.

OOo 2.0 beta is a HUGE improvement over OOo 1.1.x :-)

Everyone has different ways of doing things, getting it right enough to please everyone is impossible. I think they've done an outstanding job on a very difficult task.

JB