Peter Reaper wrote:
***Snipped***

3. It is too cumbersome to add toolbar buttons that are not in the standard set. The user should be able to just select a category on the left (which BTW should mirror the MENU items) and then on the right have a list of ALL functions in that category which he can drag to the toolbar.

This would be personal preference, I'm comfortable with what it does.

No, it's a *measurable* decrease in efficiency, and therefore should be fixed.

Sorry but that makes no sense. How often do you change your toolbar, once? Twice?

**Snip**

7. Context menus need to be much more powerful (more items) and CONTEXTUAL.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to make them customizable in a way similar to the toolbars. That way you can satisfy everyone, those that don't need everything there and those that do.

That would be bloat. Make sensible defaults and don't try to make OOo into a swiss army knife. At most have a *universal* option: "Simple UI" and "Advanced UI". Offering convoluted options is often a co-out for not thinking hard about UI issues.

Yes, but in a possible user field of millions who defines 'sensible defaults'. Now your UI options, in my opinion, would be bloat, I'm asking to customize context menus, you want a whole 'nother UI.

9. Writer's UI needs to be MUCH more like WordPerfect's UI (context menus, paste-without-formatting, tables handling, tabs handling, indenting paragraph AFTER some text (F7), ...)

Sorry that's a matter of preference as well, I've never used WP.

No, it's a matter of measurable performance improvement. You should try WP. ;-)

Lol, I'm not a really heavy user of word processors. A text editor is almost enough for me.

***

There's more, but you can see that all this hype about OOo being nearly as good as Word or even WordPerfect is just that: hype and wishful thinking.

OOo 2.0 beta is a HUGE improvement over OOo 1.1.x :-)

Everyone has different ways of doing things, getting it right enough to please everyone is impossible. I think they've done an outstanding job on a very difficult task.

Let's just all be satisfied with mediocrity then, because it's just a "different way of doing things". No, every aspect of OOo must be evaluated on its merits. The *last* resort should be deciding on what most users apparently want, after an objective analysis has failed

I've mentioned that I'm satisfied with what they've done cause it easily gets the job done for me, yet you call it mediocrity, so who's right? Chances are, if they incorporate your ideas I can get used to that as well. I'm willing to adjust my work habits for some freedom, how about you? :)

JB