On 2/23/06, Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> > Document automatization,
>
> That sounds very buzz word compliant, but I don't know what it means.

It means you can automate documents.  IE - you can have them automatically
updated from an RSS feed or a Stock Ticker or a webpage or a podcast...

> centralized storage,
>
> But I listed this as a drawback. You lose your internet connection and
> you lose your documents.

Keep local copies - did you read my eariler email addressing this?

> better collaborative scheme.
>
> Buzz word compliant, but I don't know what you mean.

"Plays well with others" - does that clear it up.  If user A, user B, and
user C are all working on Document Delta - it's easier for them to work
together if the document is centralized, and if the software is
centralized.  In theory, they could see each others changes in real time -
instead of having to sync them manually.

> If your laptop gets stolen you can loose all that data.
>
> I have lost internet connections many times. Some times for an extended
> period of time. In contrast, my laptop has never been stolen. I think
> that the risk of losing internet access is greater than the risk of
> losing your laptop. Furthermore, I can have a redundant backup on a USB
> key.

You can have a redundant backup copy on a USB key or a hard drive or a CD
ROM or an iPod or whatever you want with an online office suite as well.
Have you even tried Writely? - http://www.writely.com/ - it's free, it's ODF
compliant, it exports to ODF, PDF, DOC, and more.  But the point is you can
easily save a local copy or local copies with the click of a button - just
as easily as saving your work in OOo.  And since you can still have a local
office suite - there's no reason why you'd have to stop working on the file
just because you lost net connectivity.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/