Oliver-Rainer Wittmann - Software Engineer - Sun Microsystems
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Twayne wrote:
>> HI All,
>>
>> First let me preface this by saying I think OO.o is an outstanding
>> accomplishment and a fantastic job well done for the most part.  In
>> addition, having once managed R&D software and hardware offices I am
>> reasonably aware of the very large problems of developing
>> applications. There; hope that's enough sucking up to get you to
>> read this<g>: I am at a make or break point with my attempt to use
>> OOo 2.3.1 for my
>> purposes.  Either I figure out some work-arounds or I'll have to
>> relegate OOo back to a "future" date for serious use.  After
>> searching many old posts and asking a few questions here and on one
>> of the other groups, I feel I have a reasonable head-around for
>> using OOo.  However, I am unable to get around some problems that
>> prevent me from continuing to use it.
>>
>> Example:  I have one file (.doc from Word) that I've imported,
>> pasted, and otherwise played with to get it into OOo in a manageable
>> form.  It's about 33Meg in size, 60 pages, and contains 101 embedded
>> (not linked) JPEG color images ranging in size from 1/16 page to 1/4
>> page , sized prior to insertion into the document.  There are only 4
>> Word styles, no sections, in this particular document.
>>    I create the .odt, close the document, Reboot just for grins, and
>> then open the .odt again.
>>    Nothing I try has succeeded in an import/paste/paste special,
>> paste without last para mark,  etc., of the .doc into an OOo .odt
>> file in any usable manner.
>>
>> The largest problem is image positioning.  Images beyond the first
>> about 8 pages are nearly all misaligned, misplaced, and their
>> anchors have moved to incorrect pargraphs.  If the images were in a
>> table, they are now outside the table and cannot be moved back into
>> the table without deleting and re-creating it.  Images will overlap
>> each other and even overlap text, but the text either shows on top
>> of the image, or the image isn't opaque, I'm not sure which. Touching
>> the image wiht the mouse corrects that and text moves away
>> from the image as expected, but the image may still be as much as an
>> entire page removed from its correct, anchored position.
>>    As you can imagien, correcting this image positioning is a real
>> problem since they don't misalign in any orderly or sequential
>> manner, and the tables that held the images have just been
>> completely abandoned. There are also other spacing problems, but they
>> could be relegated to
>> the annoyance category if it weren't for the image mistreatment.
>> Spaces between paragraphs are not consistant and several other
>> things happen that means it would require a page by page treatment
>> to correct because "replace" operations can not properly function on
>> them.  For whatever reason, spacing problems all seem to relate to
>> the vertical dimension; there are no horizontal issues except with
> [...]

That's a reasonable request IMO and I'll do it. It may take me a couple
days but I *will* do it.  I've held off on it simply because I didn't
want to issue a bug report if it was really cockpit error<g> at first,
then as I got frustrated I just plain forgot about submitting.
   One thing I neglected to say before too:  The mal-arrangement is
consistant; the same each time.  That should help someone once I get it
submitted.

Thanks much,

Tom

--
Please reply to the newsgroup so everyone
benefits. E-mails may not be responded to.