I use OfficeXP from time-to-time on my dual boot system.  So ... as a
legitimate question:  What does Office Outlook offer that OOo +
Evolution (or Thunderbird + Lightening) fail to offer?  Why is bundling
necessary?

Well needs come from already patterns or workflows people are used to. Sometimes outlook is important because it sync to their PDA/smartphone.

Some other type the email in the word processor and send it as the email body. This is something that I think many people has requested. And to a degree it makes sence when we trying to pus OOo to the web as a rich editor, why can't we do the same for email?

--
Alexandro Colorado
CoLeader of OpenOffice.org ES