So just to let you all know. I did find a solution.

I basically rolled my code back to the way it was yesterday because it
always worked before. Then I made the same little update I made today AGAIN
(just adding a reference to one other column in the query). Now it works.

I still don't for the life of me get how I can output the string of SQL and
run it fine in both a query analyzer and and in a cfquery tag yet when I
pass it in as a variable, CF adds additional single quotes on its own. That
is a new and very bizarre thing to see for me.

Well I can't figure out but I did at least get past it so I can move on but
still the curiosity is killing me.

Thanks to all that replied and have a great day and a great rest of the
week.