OK, so to be clear you're on basically a totally unpatched server. 9.0 (not
either of the free updaters, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2), without any hotfixes,
cumulative hotfixes, or security hotfixes.

(And no, Ajas, the list you offer is just the "security hotfixes". The
updaters and hotfixes are instead at
http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/downloads_updates.html#cf9. (And
though Adobe said they would no longer post 9.0.1 on their site, I see the
updater there, on that page. There is also 9.0.2, the updater that removes
Verity, and adds all hotfixes and security hotfixes for 9.0.1, as well as
updates the JVM. 9.0.2 is the "most updated CF9 you can get", but do beware
that in applying all the security hotfixes, there are some changes that can
affect current functionality. See the security hotfix technotes for more.)

Anyway, I'd propose that anytime you have "weird" problems, before going any
further you ought to implement at least the CHFs for the version you're on
(9.0), if not move up to a later updater and ITS CHFs, and then any HFs
beyond the CHFs.

I appreciate that you some may say, "well, we don't want to apply updates
unless we have to". Ok, then I'd propose one should then review each of the
technotes for the latest CHFs and any HFs beyond that, for whatever version
of CF one is on, to see if it may offer any reference to the problem you're
experiencing. But even then, the wording of these technotes (like many
"change logs" for all kinds of apps) are fairly terse, so you may think
"nothing there seems to apply", but it could be just misleading wording.

So really, I'd propose that in a cause like yours Ajas, the next step is to
apply fixes, if not updaters, and see of the "weird problem" doesn't just go
away. Even if it doesn't, you a) can at least say you have applied all
possibly related hotfixes and b) you get all the other benefits that would
come with such hotfixes or updaters.

But certainly, it's wise to do testing when applying any CHFs or updaters,
and I know that some are reluctant to do these for that reason. I'm just
saying, if you have a "weird problem", it may only go away by applying a
needed patch.

Hope that's helpful.

/charlie