On 15/02/16 20:56, sme at ortecin GmbH wrote:

>> If you have tried to build a panel then you may know. If you have not
>> then I really suggest you give it a try to find out for yourself why we
>> are all agreed it needs changing. There are probably others here who
>> will give you a lot of good technical reasons why it should be changed.
> Yes I did, the backup solution I mentioned earlier.
> I think my statement was not as clear, it is not the discussion to
> replace the server-manager, with that I agree. It is the fighting about
> what framework is the correct one that turned me off. Jim McLaren put it
> nicely in his reply to this thread.
>
> /New server manager: As far as I can see the 'core' developers work in
> Perl. Unless others are prepared to take on their mantel, then we should
> go with what they suggest, and it is for that reason that I suggest we
> should go with mojo. Ideally everyone should pull together, I know, but
> sometimes the world isn't like that. //
> /

Ah Ok. The point was that there has been a lot of talk about Mojo but no
real progress. Stefano decided to look at *potential* alternatives (no
bad thing). Discussion and batting ideas about never hurts, and is a
good thing. It should be embraced.

Except when it gets heated and/or personal.

Unfortunately there are some (one ?) here who enjoy nothing more than
trolling and negativity but who contribute nothing, and unfortunately
over a period of time have upset, both publicly and privately, a number
of the core people which is totally unacceptable for any reason. There
are a number here who have been deeply upset, and some who have left
altogether as a result. That is disgraceful and cannot be allowed to
continue. It is as I have mentioned, the Achilles Heel of SME. I am sure
if we all sat in the same room it would not happen. Email and lists can
be both a blessing and a curse.

Unfortunately I was indisposed when this originally happened and was not
able to call some order earlier.

I hope that we can now continue to have sensible and meaningful
discussions about the way ahead. There will be differing opinions. But
nothing is set in stone as of this moment.

Stefano has done some good work and it should not be ignored. Whether it
is the way ahead I do not know, but the least we can do is look at it
and comment positively accordingly.

Yes, Mojo seems like a good framework. Is there something better ? Let
someone produce some Proof of Concept examples so we can see what it can
do. As Charlie often says, don't talk, code. So lets see some :-)

Now is the time to look far and wide and get ideas on the table. There
are some big decisions ahead, and we need to look at them in a measured
and methodical fashion.

If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts then now is the time to get
them out so we can all take a good look and weigh it all up. Lets see
some practical examples of what could be achieved and work from there.

B. Rgds
John