While the ISOC dead-line is still ahead of us I would be interested to
see what are
the issues in such a localization project and what are the costs?

While Gnome itself is not directly education related it has
nice graphs so I am looking at it.
If I look at he http://l10n-status.gnome.org/HEAD/
one can see the localization status of Gnome to the various languages.
Hebrew has 12.20% translated.
Translating these applications only requires translating a couple
of English strings. If I understand correctly about 40,000 messages.
Can someone give an evaluation how much would it cost to hire a professional
translator to do the work?

Gabor