Adding more questions/answers inline

On 2019/05/09 19:34:24, Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org> wrote:
> I suppose my point is -- is there a problem that we're addressing and what
> is that problem, exactly?

>From personal experience, I believe there is a problem. We need to do some
>research to articulate it and some team work to identify how we want to
>approach it. As Ross said - we can only influence what happens within the ASF
>at the moment. If we're lucky and work consistently, we could even influence
>an industry.

> I certainly don't want to find myself promoting a survey at the end of
> which all the Apache communities are evaluated or assessed or analyzed
> based on the percentages of the multiple identities that they reflect.
> I.e., one community will be more diverse than another and hence the latter
> will be encouraged to learn from the former. Is diversity, in itself,
> something to strive for? Maybe yes, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it wrong if
> all committers to a particular Apache project are women? Or if they're all
> under 30? Or over 50?

100% agree with you, a survey that focus on demographics is only providing a
small section of a larger map. In fact - just today, I chatted with the CHAOSS
folks, and I learn that they look at diversity in multiple dimensions [1],
demographics is just one of them.

This is exactly the approach I want us to have. We need to combine results from
this survey with findings from a more comprehensive research that also tell us
how folks find the experience of getting started in Apache projects. There are
different tools for each area we should evaluate.

Why do a survey then? -- Demographics play a part of how communities and groups
function, and I still believe is important we look at them. The survey is
optional, and you could help us shape it to what you believe is appropriate.

[1]
https://github.com/chaoss/wg-diversity-inclusion/tree/master/demographic-data