On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Kevin Howerton
<kevin.hower...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "You seem to be suggesting that a fork will somehow magically fix the
> speed of Django development. I ask you: who is going to work on this
> fork?"
>
> I think a hostile fork is almost a certain outcome if development
> continues as it has.  Not only is the resistance to make backwards
> incompatible changes in future releases a bad policy for the quality
> of the framework, but the behavior in trac has a negative effect on
> community contributions.
[...]
> Personally I believe my time might be better spent developing a fork,
> than arguing over clear flaws in architecture decisions that "can't be
> changed".

Django is BSD licensed; no one is going to stop someone from making a
fork if they want to.  That no one has done so is, IMHO, a good sign
that the Django codebase and development process is considered solid
by the community.

Solid, of course, can sometimes be boring.  :-)  There's nothing wrong
with public experimentation; why not push a Django branch up on GitHub
with some features you find interesting?  You don't have to "fork" in
order to develop your own branch; we've been maintaining an internal
branch of Django at The Onion for a couple of years now, but we still
track upstream aggressively.  Sometimes I wonder if a long-running
experimental playground branch (or branches) on GitHub would be a
healthy way to direct some of the energy and interest in less
conservative changes; as pieces matured there, they could be
considered for the mainstream trunk, and trunk would in turn remain
nice and stable.