Russell,

This is what I meant by "straw hat" the other day. You took what I
said out of context in a sly attempt at ignoratio elenchi. I made it
clear in the first paragraph that **I started out thinking you were
closed minded**, but then said that **I later realized that you were
just busy**. I was bringing into question the policy of backwards
compatibility, not your personality. It is you who has been engaged in
ad hominem, not I.

This sort of behavior is not conducive to a productive development
environment.

The real points you should be taking from all these conversations:

1) People don't like slow progress, but also want stability. Maybe
it's time to revisit the policy to find a better balance, so that
users aren't always recommended to use the trunk in production
websites.

2) It seems that others are concerned with SVN and want to use a
definative version, e.g. 1.2.2, instead of some r5481849448 number,
and without having to wait for 6 months for the official 1.2 release.

3) People specifically aren't contributing because they know that
every attempt they make will get them exactly nowhere, except close
lined. Perhaps problem 1 could be solved by solving this problem with
a slightly more open policy, instead of closing tickets 5 seconds
after they're open.

4) The attitude projected at developers gives the idea that Django is
for the core team only, and that users are graced with the ability to
use Django. While the contribution is much appreciated, the attitude
is harmful to the core team and to the user base.