When I first started posting things on trac, I put up a request that
took me an hour to create, explaining the justification, as well as
putting the code in there. I didn't know how to make a patch, and I
went about it the wrong way, but regardless of that, I put a lot of
thought into it. Less than 3 minutes after I posted it, it was closed
and resolution set to `wontfix`. It was an extremely minor change that
didn't break any backwards compatibility, but I didn't follow the
right procedures, so wham, gone. I tend to agree with Kevin's
assertion that it's not worth spending time developing when you don't
know if your ideas will be thrown in the trash, but I won't complain
about it because everything these people do for Django is free to us,
and if they weren't hardcore, the framework could have turned into
muck by this point (with the number of feature requests out there).

After a few rounds of doing that, I realized that people like Russell,
who appear to be closed minded at first glance, are really not closed
minded at all, but just overworked by tickets and don't have extra
time to do every single ticket. I believe this is primarily because
for every added feature, tons and tons of code has to be changed /
added to keep everything backwards compatible with code from a year
ago.

I think I speak for a pretty broad user base when I say that folks who
use Django are bleeding edge developers who want cool stuff, and don't
mind paying a little extra to have it. It isn't like IBM and Microsoft
are using Django for huge distributed projects, and upgrading all
their clients to the latest version each week. And, again back to
Kevin's point; if they are upgrading quickly, they are the types that
understand the value of doing so.

If the core team doesn't want to change the backwards compatibility
policy a tiny bit to accommodate faster paced code ( keeping up with
the Jone's and such, such as RoR 3.0 ), it might be worth investing
the time to start a fork. A little competition for the core team
wouldn't hurt them a bit. It would relieve a little of the stress of
being bombarded by tickets for things that are not possible for a
whole year, etc. I would only suggest that if you were to go this
route, to do so in a way that isn't harmful to Django as a whole (e.g.
making empty promises will leave a bitter taste and ruin the name).