On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Waylan Limberg <way...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
> <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

>>> This doesn't account for these facts:
>>>
>>> 1) Accepted != Ready for checkin.
>>> 2) A lot of triage is done by people without commit access.
>>>
>>> Sometimes a ticket stays at 'Accepted' for a long time because it
>>> doesn't actually have anyone motivated enough to write even a patch, or
>>> tests etc, which means that it is de-facto low priority, and we
>>> shouldn't feel guilty about this kind.  The ones in the 'Ready for
>>> checkin' queue are the ones that deserve to be checked in, and it
>>> currently has only 35 in it, compared to 1226 in 'Accepted'.
>>
>> This is an important stat -- but it glosses over the fact that 1226
>> "accepted" tickets doesn't necessarily clarify how many of these have
>> viable patches -- or patches at all.
>>
>> Accepted tickets can be:
>>
>>  * Purely accepted, indicating that someone has verified that the
>> problem exists, but not how to solve it
>>
>>  * Accepted with a patch that is wrong in some way (e.g., fixing the
>> symptom, not the problem)
>>
>>  * Accepted with a patch that is missing documentation or tests
>>
>>  * Accepted with a valid patch, just awaiting review by someone else.
>>
>> A ticket in the first three conditions patently isn't ready for
>> checkin. A ticket in the last condition *may* be ready for checkin; we
>> ask for independent verification before it gets moved to RFC.
>
> So, in other words, accepted simply means that the ticket reports a
> valid bug or feature request that is considered worth fixing, but
> offers to indication as to the status of any patches for committing.
> Obviously, some seem to imply the later meaning into "Accepted" which
> could raise the question regarding whether it is named correctly (I
> say it is fine). But, more importantly, is there a place were each
> status is simply defined?
>
> Sure there is this:
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/#ticket-triage
>
> But that hardly makes clear exactly what "accepted" actually means.
> The text in that section is helpful to understanding the basic
> process, but if someone changes the status of my ticket, there's no
> definitive place to go and see exactly what that status means.
>
> In fact, in reading the list over the last few years, I have the
> impression that this is a problem that is repeated constantly. People
> don't understand what the various statuses mean and get frustrated
> when things do not happen as they expected. I think perhaps clearer
> documentation would help in this case.

A reasonable suggestion if ever I've heard one. I've opened a ticket
to track the idea:

http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14360

and I've put it on the 1.3 milestone; if anyone wants to take a swing
a clarifying the language before I (or someone else on the core team)
gets a chance to look at it, feel free.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)