Having done deployments of varying scales and having spent a lot of time
with Fabric, as well as some with Chef, Puppet, etc. I don't think there's
any way we can build a tool that will meet any but the absolute simplest of
needs without unnecessarily re-inventing a lot of wheels.

However, if you're interested in pursuing this project then this is a great
space for a 3rd-party app that ties in the features you'd like to see as
management commands. There's absolutely no reason this needs to live in core
and if it gains traction with the community then I could see it being a
wonderfully useful asset.

All the best,

    - Gabriel