Full applications, patches and snippets? (like templatetags,filters,
middlewares...)

Forums sucks, any decent mail client can show a list ordered by
threads, and any mail manager can create archives for a list easy
searchable by Google. Any decent python script can send mails to
mailling lists on svn commits. Sincerelly, forums are anoying.
mailling lists rock. Look at googlegroups. Those are mailling lists,
you can use them as forums if you wish. But you are free to use lists
off-line, save them on the disk, forward a message, CC it to somebody
already interested and so on.... No matter on a list <> forum
interface, but forums alone suck. List managers rock!!