On 12/15/06, Steve Hutton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Assuming that the implementation matches the proposal, I would say
> > there is a realistic chance of it getting accepted into core. However,
> > this would require that the implementation is up to date, and bug free
> > (including tests to validate this status that are integrated into the
> > Django system tests).
>
> I see.  It sounds like it may be a bit of moving target, due to changes
> in core.  Maybe a good goal would be to get the implementation up to
> date (maybe that's what Victor has done?) and make sure the test
> coverage is in place (I'm not sure the status of this?).

Keeping everything up to date is the role of the champion you mention below.

> Then publicize it a bit and call for testers to essentially try what
> would essentially be a release candidate.

The call for testing should be made by the champion; unless I've
missed a post, I don't think this has happened. The branch hasn't been
touched for 2 months, but I don't know if this is because the work is
done, or because Derek Anderson (the SOC participant running the
schema-evolution project) hasn't had time to work on it, or if he has
just lost interest.

Either way, the ultimate goal would be to convince Adrian that the
branch is stable, get him to take a look at it, and merge the branch
into the trunk. Adrian is pretty busy, so I'm guessing he would be
looking for some community consensus that the branch is complete and
stable before he spends any time looking at it.

> Maybe someone is already thinking along these lines?  It seems like the
> branch could benefit from a "champion" who actively pushes it through.

This 'champion' role should be performed by Derek and/or Kenneth
Gonsalves (the SOC mentor for the project). If you want to help out,
check out the branch, and take it for a test drive. If what you find
is stable, let the community know; if it isn't, log bugs (and patches
if you can) until it is.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)