I agree, with no support for Django Models and relational databases
like mysql and postgressSQl, Google Apps Engine usefulness appears to
be limited to more Content Management kind of web application.
It pretty much excludes data driven and data intensive applications
where data consistency and reliability is very critical (ACID
properties).

Unless I am missing something and Google Data store is intended to be
full Object Oriented DB equivalent of Relational DBMS's.

Still it is an exciting development and another great option  to
Amazon s3/ec3 services.

thanks
Ashish Gupta