I love doing XHTML/CSS, but of course development gets more work/money/
jobs/ladies (j.k.) I started out with Flash, then moved onto XHTML/
CSS, then Javascript, then PHP, then Django, which I think is a good
progression so that you understand the whole gamut of web development
and can interface with just about anyone working on a project.

>From my experience, the best way to do the front end aspect of the
project is to start with the photoshop mockup/sketch/whatever and then
translate to HTML/CS. Once the design is approved, move onto JS
(unless youre doing AJAX), then on to development. This works
especially well for smaller projects and for freelance.