Ok, lot's of research and asking in some other places and I think I've
come down to the two front runners in the category of
"coders-who-want-more-than-vi-can-give":  Komodo IDE or WingIDE.

I've now heard of and in some cases tried (I run Linux): Eclipse,
IDLE, Eric, jEdit, gEdit, vi, emacs, and others.  But, those two above
seem to the be the ones to beat.

I understand WingIDE doesn't work on the MacOS without X.  It seems a
bit cheaper for the full version, but there's no OSS version - I don't
mind paying, but close source isn't the best.

Has anyone used Komodo and Wing and can recommend one over the other?
Or are they about the same in general?