ilmarik wrote:
> It's just simple amazing that I waste another night to figure out how
> to glue two and more apps together inside one template.
> I read about custom tags and I thing it isn't (or at least it
> shouldn't be) the way of doing it. too much fuss imho.
>
> Example:
> I have home page with menu on one side, news on other side, greetings
> article inside, footer menu on bottom and a survey somewere else.
> everything on one page of course.
>
> Walking with the idea of decoupled apps, I should create News app,
> Survey app, Menu app and so on...
> It was simple and fun for a newbe like me to do it but...
> How in the name of God to put all these Views' responses into ONE
> template ?
> djangobook.com says nothing about it. djangoproject.com neighter. at
> least not explicitly...
>
> I'm trying to google this problem out but without success.
>
> Can anybody point some simple explanation to me ?
> or is Django blind for such fundamental and common task and isn't
> simplifying it at all ?

Since a view is intended to provide a response to an HTTP request, if
you want a single page that includes the output from multiple views you
need a page structure that fills various sections by making HTTP
requests in the manner of a portal.

However, it's not clear that you really *do* want to use a separate view
for each piece of output. In that case you need to write views that
structure their output by making calls on function imported from the
various apps, each of which renders the appropriate small portion of the
final page, or provides the information tho be inserted into that part
of the template.

You might also want to look into ContextManager objects, which are a way
of providing information to all pages.

A slightly fuller description of your intended page structure might let
people provide more accurate answers to your needs.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119