On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:48 AM, ilmarik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got controllers made as logical apps (controllers named
> particularly) and whenever I need f.e. menu inside base layout, I
> simply put {#menus/show/1} which means - return here compiled
> controllers(menus) method(show) of menu with id (1).
> This gives me the power to return response to any template from any
> controllers 'public' method.
[snip]
> custom tags are just to much fuss for me but if it IS django's way to
> create full portal template, fine.
> or mayby there is one, more intuitive, simple, better ?

The controllers that you use for your current implementation would be
the same thing as an inclusion tag in django.

Generally what I do when developing a new inclusion tag is to create a
new view, and get the view to display exactly what I want in an
isolated manor. So from your example there are three sections I would
create isolated views for. The left menu, the top menu, and the
language change section. Once you get the views functional for those
it is usually simple to migrate those to an inclusion tag, if your
view requires the request or request.user etc, you just need to make
sure you set your inclusion tags with takes_context=True, then you can
access the request via context.request. All of the examples you gave
seem rather simple to implement inclusion tags, though they do tend to
get much more complex if you want the various other applications to be
able to create their own sections of a menu instead of maintaining it
all as manually entered DB entries.

To get the hang of inclusion tags it actually took me about a month
and a half of playing with it and creating different ones just testing
their capabilities, and asking lots of questions in #django.