The point of decoupling the apps is so that you can share them with
others without having to give them all of your site, and it make it
ALOT easier to maintain since if you want to make changes to the way
the menu works you dont have to read though hundred of lines of code
dealing with the rest of your site, you just go right to the menu
application.

As for third party applications, they are (as long as they are
designed properly) easy to integrate with your own site since they
already have all the required code, you just need to write the
template and CSS info to make it fit with your sites design.