On Aug 14, 9:42 am, Wayne Koorts <wkoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I currently know zero Python and want to start a project with Django
> > ASAP.  I've got the opportunity through my work to either take a 5-day
> > Python bootcamp or a Django bootcamp - not both.
>
> I don't really think this is a useful question on its own.  A more
> appropriate question would be "How much programming experience do I
> need?".  If you have prior programming experience in another language
> then I'm sure you'll find Python quick and easy to pick up.  In that
> case going through the tutorial and playing around with it in an
> afternoon should be enough to prep you for a Django book or course.
>
> If you have no programming experience at all then out of the two
> options it would be better to take the Python one.  Any pure Django
> course would assume a certain amount of Python knowledge.  But even if
> you take a Python course you need to know if the particular course
> assumes prior programming experience of some kind of is more of an
> "Introduction to Programming Using Python".  If you take a Django
> course with no programming experience at all then you will be wasting
> your time.  If you have experience in some kind of programming and
> then take a Django course with no Python experience then you might be
> able to get by.
>
> Regards,
> Wayne

I would second this. but also if you do the django course, take a
python book with you - then if you don't get something you can just
look it up in the book quickly (the python website would also do, it
just depends on whether you prefer to learn from books or the web).
Remember, the people teaching the django course will know python, so
will be able to give you a bit of guidance if you get really stuck,
but if you go on the python course, it won't necessarily help get you
up and running with django. The poll tutorial on the django website is
brilliant for showing the different features and getting you started
though.

If you have no programming experience and don't know python, the
django course will be a lot to take in at once.

Em