On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM, snfctech<tschm...@sacfoodcoop.com> wrote:

> And I guess the answer to the title of the post, according to you guys
> is:
>
> "All you need is previous programming experience and a Python
> reference book.  Learning some Python basics before diving into Django
> is probably a good idea, but you don't need to spend weeks on it or
> take a bootcamp/course."

I strongly disagree.  The thing to remember is that Django is just
Python applied to web programming.  Knowing Python better, and
understanding the quirks of the language and why they are there, will
serve you better when programming a Django app.  Django is a supremely
Pythonic approach to web applications (not the only such, to be sure).
 The framework developers use the language fluently.  The better you
understand the language, the easier you will find it to understand
Django.  The choices made in designing Django will be obvious, or at
least more clear than they would have been otherwise.

You are more likely to reach your goal of having a working Django site
sooner if you have a better understanding of the language than if you
concentrate on Django and skip the subtleties of the language.  Yes,
Python is designed to be easy to learn and easy to read, but
understanding the possibilities inherent in the language will help you
grasp more of Django more easily than if you just dive into web
programming.

Listen to the instructor, he's not wrong.

---Peter Herndon